Club History

The Kiwanis Club of Greater Sheboygan is chartered as one of 7,700 clubs in 80 countries. Our motto is "Serving the Children of the World".

The Kiwanis Club of Greater Sheboygan is 95 years old in 2016.  Our club was chartered April 15, 1921, with Dr. Otho Fiedler as its first President.

Our club has an impressive history of community service.  In 1924 club members raised $11,000, mainly through personal contributions, and acquired the 26 acres that is now Kiwanis Park.   It constructed a bathhouse at King Beach, and funded the construction of a lodge at Camp Rokolio.  In 1965 it provided the initial leadership to start the Big Brothers program in Sheboygan.  From 1969 to 1976 it conducted Operation Drug Alert in the Sheboygan Schools.   Annually it awards $1,500 in Vocational/Technical scholarships to Sheboygan area students.  In 1997 our club provided the seed money to start the High School Home Building Project, which has since been taken over by the Sheboygan AreaSchool District.   In the early 2010s our club funded the setting and restoration of the Islander commercial fish tug on the Sheboygan waterfront.

Our club provides weekly drivers to Meals on Wheels.  Annually, in the fall, it conducts a "clothing exchange", which provides lightly used clothing for needy area residents. We provide funding for the “Bring up Grades” program for first graders at Longfellow School, and club members also volunteer time to read with some of those first grade students. Our club also sponsors one Builders Club (middle school service leadership development club), two Key Clubs (high school service leadership development club), and one Aktion Club (service club for adults with disabilities) in the Sheboygan and Kohler communities.